harvard-Yale regatta weekend June 8-10
Pre-Race Luncheon Thursday June 8th, 11:45
- All members of the Harvard Community are invited to attend the 2023 Harvard-Yale Regatta pre-race luncheon on Thursday, June 8 hosted, for the first time in memory, at the US Coast Guard Academy's Cdr. Merle Smith Consolidated Club (formerly the Officers' Club), New London, CT. It's a fun event celebrating this nation's first and oldest athletic competition, its connection to this state and to the New London area, and the sport of rowing.
- Important Security Information: Early arrival at 11:45am is recommended because every person (not just every vehicle) entering is checked. Every person entering the U.S. Coast Guard Academy must present a sufficient Govt. photo ID, such as a valid driver’s license. The organizers need to know by name who is planning to attend the lunch in advance. (We expect a larger than usual crowd: people should NOT just show up and pay at the door without registering or signing up in advance.)
- Harvard Club members can purchase tickets directly from the Yale Club of New Haven. YCNH Lunch ticket is $22 per person - $20 for lunch to organizer, plus $2 to help cover the online fees. Please buy tix HERE online from the Yale Club in advance by June 2 . We will send in your names on the list for USCGA entrance & luncheon.
- If you'd prefer to pay at the door, please email Leeland Cole-Chu by June 2nd to RSVP so he can add you to the attendee list: firstname.lastname@example.org (We expect a larger than usual crowd, people should NOT just show up.)
- Lunch Program: The luncheon program includes a welcome by the Mayor of New London and perhaps other dignitaries (the Governor is invited); the singing of the colleges’ fight songs; remarks by retiring Yale Coach Steve Gladstone and Harvard Coach Charley Butt; a keynote speech - by Olympian Genevra Stone(her dad, Gregg Stone, '75, rowed at Harvard); and the drawing of the June 10 Regatta race lanes. Luncheon Event sponsored by local service organizations including Rotary New London.
- Parking and Directions to US CGA Consolidated Club, 15 Mohegan Avenue, New London, CT.
- Parking available at USCGA campus
- Transit info - Take ShoreLine East Train to New London Union Station ($8 OW from New Haven), then take SEAT bus #1 ($2) one stop to Williams and Crystal streets outside USCGA.
Red Top Cocktail Party Friday June 9th, 6pm
Free Cocktail party at Red Top (Harvard Boathouse) 80-R Military hwy, Gales Ferry, CT - all interested in the regatta are invited.
The Race - HY Men's Rowing Saturday June 10th, 11-4pm
- Celebrate and watch the Races of the 156th Harvard Yale Regatta on the Thames River from the Regatta Festival grounds on Sweet Hill Farm. Visit Regatta Festival Website for info on food trucks, vendors, entertainment, best spots to watch the races, and more.
- Free Parking & Shuttle from nearby Ledyard church/store lots: Parking on site at the Farm and Erickson Park is very limited, so please take the Free Shuttles from/to the Free parking in Ledyard - visit Festival Website for details
- NO TICKETS ARE NEEDED for FREE ADMISSION to Regatta Festival and Race Watching in nearby Erickson Park
- The June 9-10 Regatta times are as follows, all in Gales Ferry (Ledyard, CT):
- Friday, June 9, upstream, 4V race: 1700,
- Third Varsity race, upstream, 1415 Saturday, June10
- Junior Varsity race, upstream, 1500 Saturday, June 10
- Varsity race, upstream, 1600 Saturday, June 10
- Reserve (rain) Date: Sunday, June 11